Sunday, March 3, 2013

I Heart Product Placement; My Origin Story


"You've never had Chex Mix."
Why would anyone actually enjoy product placement? Does seeing Sammy Brady go on about Chex Mix really make you happy? No wonder you’re single. These questions and statements are things I come across when I explain to strangers that I have a hobby…called product placement. So, just like that mouthy girl who played Blossom, I have an opinion that is different than the majority, so I will write a condescending blog about that topic. The only thing is, mine will actually have a little research behind it.

While I’d like to start right off on the reasons Hyundai being placed in The Walking Dead is the real reason I like the show, or how I learned from 90210 that it is an official rule of road trips to consume Dr. Pepper, we must start at the beginning…my origin story if you will. (Wink Face)

I was brought up in a house full of individuals who loved cars. My father was a “GM man” his entire life, and if it weren’t for his Trans Am, I probably wouldn’t be here today. (My mom also liked cars.) My sister is about as diehard as they come in the world of Jeeps. She has owned five of them, and is not likely to give up on the brand anytime soon.

I just like a car that runs. Maybe in the future I will be able to buy a cool car, but for now it’s all about practicality for me. However, as a father’s son, I too liked all things General Motors. This all changed with my first real experience with product placement. When I was nine a little film called Jurassic Park debuted in theaters. Adults loved it, kids loved it, and I of course loved it. To this day Jurassic Park is a film I love. I can quote it line for line, and even reenact scenes with my good friend Shawn.  

Granted, in 1993, a lot of kids liked this film. It had real live dinosaurs for crying out loud! Here’s the thing about dinosaurs; if they were so great they’d still be around today. Guess what, they aren’t! But what is still around is the 1992 Ford Explorer. If you watched even a little part of this film you will know that the Explorer was featured heavily, or “placed” in the film. (In the book they had Land Rovers. To be fair, those characters were a lot more pretentious.) Rumor has it that Steven Spielberg owned an Explorer at the time and wanted it in the film. Ford wrote the check, sent them a plethora, and the rest is history.

I wanted that car! From the moment I saw the first trailer, until the time my Mommy bought me the toy version, I wanted that car. My aunt Cindy even made me an awesome birthday cake based on the Explorer. Keep in mind; I hated Fords at the time. They were the enemy, and every person who drove a Ford was an idiot. (I may have been a pre-teen, but I was very perceptive at that age and knew not to judge people on their character, but on their material possessions.) In an instant, by placing that vehicle in a film full of reptiles, Newman from Seinfeld, and a pre-prime of her career Laura Dern, my opinion of Ford had Changed. (Owning a Ford product since then has reverted me back to my old way of thinking.)

I guess that is what product placement is all about. I couldn’t buy an Explorer back then, and thank whatever deity that may claim life that I couldn’t. Explorers are junk! They are horrible off road, they crave fuel like Ashley Judd Craves attention, and their transmissions are put together with hopes and dreams. To top it off, you couldn’t even get one with that gigantic Plexiglas roof. All that being said, I still want one.

So, it’s now 20 years since the original Jurassic Park came out. Number four will be released in 2014. As this blog continues, we will examine how the Jurassic Park placement was an anomaly, and even examine the sequels. For now though, I thought it was important for everyone to know why I am the way I am. Since this film I have loved product placement. It makes me smile and enjoy films and TV more.

My next blog will be called Subway Eat Fresh in the face of Danger. Look for it on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment